Thursday, December 2, 2010

Obstacles

Today's Reverb10 prompt feels a little weird to respond to:
Writing. What do you do each day that doesn't contribute to your writing -- and can you eliminate it?
It seems a little irrelevant to my life because I'm not a writer; so I'm using the word "writing" to mean record-keeping (Liam's baby book), blogging, and/or journaling. True, these are all forms of writing, but I just felt like it would be a false representation if I didn't explain what types of writing I participate in. It's not like I'm penning beautiful poetry or insightful prose.

Anyway, what do I do that doesn't contribute to these things?

Exhibit A:



Exhibit B:



Yep. I wouldn't say that I'm a t.v. junkie or a Facebook addict, but their presence in my daily life sure doesn't contribute to my writing ... or anything else beneficial or productive for that matter. Okay, that's not totally true: Facebook really does help me connect with people in ways that are beneficial when I choose to use it that way. Also, it can be a giant time-sucking black hole of browsing other people's lives instead of living my own. Which leads me to the other interpretation I had of today's prompt. Instead of considering what I'm doing that gets in the way of having time to write, why not consider what I'm doing that gets in the way of having something worthwhile to write about. There's no point in taking the time to sit and write if I'm not living a life or thinking thoughts that are worthy of being recorded.

And to that question, I think the answer is basically the same. Television, internet, magazines, other people's blogs, anything that becomes the thing I zone out to is getting in the way of the rest of life. I believe the key to eliminating the trance-like power of these activities is to do what I wrote about yesterday. To live with intention. If I begin the day with goals and a schedule of sorts, I am much less likely to lose hours. When I live with intention, forms of entertainment find their rightful place as enjoyable little breathers here and there, rather than as the thief of my day.

No comments: