Monday, August 1, 2011

Kabul 24 by Henry O. Arnold & Ben Pearson

 Because when you haven't blogged in almost 8 weeks you should definitely re-engage anyone who reads the blog with a book review.  That's what the people want. Okay, I guess I'll give a brief family update from the past 2 months and then explain why I'm talking about this book: As previously mentioned, Josh broke his foot on Memorial Day. I guess that's sort of why I've been MIA in the internet world - when your husband can't walk for 8 weeks & you have a one-year-old who can walk very well, life is a little exhausting. By the time I'd get to finally sit down at night (when I normally blog) I really didn't feel like doing anything that required thought. I am disappointed that in the midst of all the busyness I didn't take Liam's 13 & 14 month pics in his chair, or write posts for either of those months, but I guess he still has a chance at a well-adjusted childhood :) I will make it up to him (I mean myself and his grandmas, because I don't think he cares) with a long and gushy mommy post later on.

Today though, I want to share about this book:





  Many months ago I read on my friend Kim's blog about a program, which is now called BookSneeze, that sends bloggers free books in return for reviews on blogs & consumer sites. I love to read & don't mind telling people about what I'm reading, so this sounded like a perfect way to get my hands on some new reading material. So, I signed up, requested my first book, read it ... and then did nothing. I totally forgot to review it and then forgot about the program altogether. I have read so much this summer, though, that I really want to try to get on board with this awesome program. Hence, without further adieu, I give you Kabul 24.

 This non-fiction work by Arnold & Pearson tells the story of 8 western aid workers who had made lives in Afghanistan prior to 9/11. Although the workers, both men & women, were very involved in community development and education, they were glad to engage the Afghan nationals on matters of Christian faith when interest was shown. It was through this sort of relationship with a family that the foreigners were trapped when they showed the Jesus film - a betrayal that resulted in their arrest by the Taliban.

 Although this book wasn't necessarily a dramatic page-turner;  I found it hard to put down as I read the personal accounts of how these men and women sought to honor the Lord and wait patiently during their weeks of captivity. It was fascinating to read about the ways the workers would encourage one another and seek the Lord for courage and strength while under the watchful eye of a harsh regime. I have always been drawn to missionary biographies and autobiographies, and while this book was focused more on a short window of experience, rather than a life story, it had the same effect of building my own faith.

I don't think I'd recommend this book if you're just looking for a fun, easy read or if you're wanting something that will really get your adrenalin flowing; but if you have an interest in missions or learning more about this part of the world, you'll be pleased with what you glean from Kabul 24.

 And if reading a book review wasn't your cup of tea, stay tuned for some mommy gushing sometime soon!

No comments: