Monday, October 1, 2012

Thankful 30: Loving Choices

During the 30 days leading up to my 30th birthday, I am posting a letter a day expressing thankfulness for someone or something that has played a major role in shaping the first 30 years of my life.

Source


 Or should I say, Crisis Pregnancy Center ... that's what you were called during the years you made the greatest impact on my life. You were sort of like my first sibling. You were the first thing, other than myself, that I really remember my parents devoting their time, energy, and resources to. I remember the feet of the couples who met in our living room to pray about what they could do to save babies who were being aborted and to help the mamas who felt they had no other options. I remember playing on the floor during these meetings, either next to the couches or by the dining room table, when papers were spread out and financial matters were discussed.

  I remember the receptionist's desk when the center first opened, and that there were always Dum Dum pops I could have. I remember playing with the little models that were used to demonstrate the sizes and developments of unborn babies of different ages and really liking the tiny door that opened up between the bathroom and the room where the pregnancy tests were run on the urine samples. I remember seeing tears in my dad's eyes on sanctity of life Sundays and I remember looking down the road at all the people holding signs when we would participate in the Walk for Life. I remember sitting in the backseat of our station wagon when my mom would drive women to doctor's appointments.

  Loving Choices, you were a window that exposed my young heart to pain and loneliness and the darkness of sin. You were the vehicle through which my parents demonstrated true religion and showed me that the faith they were teaching me about wasn't just about lip service. Then, when my brother was born and my mom took a less active role with you so she could be who she needed to be to us, you were the way she taught me that there are seasons in life ... and that the one involving raising young children often does not include heavy involvement in other endeavors.

  Thank you, Loving Choices, for the valuable ministry you have provided in our community for the past 25 years. I love hosting a table at your banquet every year, and getting to invite friends to come and learn more about what you do. Thank you for loving babies and moms and dads and families. Thank you for the way God used you to teach my young heart and mind so much.

 - Stefanie

1 comment:

Giddiupjake said...

Stef, You never cease to amaze me. You are the young Christian woman that everyone admires and looks up to. You are who you are because Jesus loves you and gave you remarkable loving Christian parents. You are, because He is! Love you Sweetie, Aunt Violet XOXOXO