Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Precious Moments

Liam is too much fun right now. Too much fun and too sweet. Here are a few moments from the past couple of days that I want to remember:

On Monday evening, Josh, Liam, and I went out for dinner. Liam and I were both still recovering from missing each other while I was gone for the weekend ... I had come home late Sunday afternoon and then I worked Monday (only for 4 hours, mind you), but we definitely hadn't caught up on all the cuddling we had missed out on. During the middle of dinner, as he was chowing down on his mac and cheese, my little buddy suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me close to him. For the next several minutes he would sit up straight to take a bite, and then lean his head over on my arm, keeping his arm wrapped around mine all the while. I was in heaven.

Yesterday, we were in a thrift store so I could do some last-minute hunting for my costume for our church's fall streetfest, which is tonight. I was digging through a rack of clothes that was next to a mirror, and Liam was perched on my hip. I heard him say "baby!" with a sort of surprised tone in his voice, and looked up to see him looking in the mirror and poking himself in the chest. I don't know if it was the first time he really understood that he is the baby he sees in the mirror, or if it had just dawned on him that he is much smaller than he realized; but some sort of lightbulb came on and it was adorable to see how excited he was. I responded, "yes, you're my baby." He spent the rest of our time in the store tapping himself on the chest, saying, "my baby", much to the delight of the elderly ladies who run the shop. It occurred to me pretty quickly that since we would love to have another child soon I probably shouldn't get him into the habit of calling himself my baby, so I switched to telling him that he is my "big boy". Now when I ask, "where is my big boy?", he immediately gets a huge grin on his face and points to himself. He is so big.

Finally, when he was supposed to be napping yesterday afternoon, I started hearing his little voice come over the monitor. I turned it up so I could hear what he was saying and I realized he was clapping his hands and saying, "Go! Baseball! Go!"

And I couldn't agree more. I'm sure if he could say more words he would be joining Josh and I tonight in saying, "Go! Cardinals! Go!"

No comments: