Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Thankful Month

I've seen several people who are posting something they are thankful for everyday in November, and I believe I'm going to jump on that bandwagon. This fall I feel like I have a lot on my mind ... thoughts that are lurking on the sidelines, just waiting to pounce on my joy and rob me of my contentment. A month of choosing to daily focus on the small (or enormous) blessings of that day might be just what the doctor ordered to help me think on, "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy," so I will know that the God of peace is with me (Philippians 4:8-9).

 So, here is day 1 & day 2 (since today is the 2nd):

Day 1:
 Yesterday I was so thankful for the ministry of Loving Choices. Josh and I attended this organization's annual banquet last night, as we do every year; and, just like every year, my heart was filled with gratefulness. Gratefulness for my parents, who helped start the ministry when I was little; grateful for the people who have kept it going and have grown it's reach over the past 24 years, grateful for the over 900 people who were in attendance, and grateful for a God who loves unborn babies AND their mamas.

Day 2:
 Today I am thankful that my life isn't about me - it's about the big story of Jesus that continues to unfold. I'm thankful that the events of my life have specific purposes in that story and that no matter how many battles I might feel like I'm losing along the way, the war is over and I'm on the side of victory.

 Also, I'm thankful for sweet tea.

p.s. some of the things I wrote today might sound like I'm depressed or really going through a tough time ... I think I'd be honest if I was, but I'm not. Just some stuff I've been thinking about.

Oh, and in case you wondered, Liam is NOT thankful for the green tomato he chomped into at Papa & Grammy's farm today.


No comments: